Lately i have read lots of blogs with lists. The particularly eye-catching ones including, “A shopping list for when you’re broke”, “25 i wish i knew before i turned 25″, “12 people you are when you’re drunk” among others. Much as what is in these lists may not necessarily be gospel truth, it is to some and probably alot of junk to others. So anyway, from reading those lists, being humoured and learning a thing or two about how i can direct my thoughts and cognitions, i managed to come up with a list of my own that will probably shed some light on a few things here and there.
PS: This is the work of an overly paranoid mind. Carry on.
Things you should probably know.
1. You don’t always have to go see the doctor.
Many times you will not feel perfectly ok. You’ll have a little discomfort in your tummy, a slight headache, a less than perfect vision, slight imbalance, change in skin tone, a little change in your bowels, it doesn’t always mean you have a serious ailment that needs diagnosis and eventually surgery. Sometimes its just the heavy lunch that’s causing the tummy ache, sleep deprivation causing the body imbalance, stress that’s brought on the headache,. Its not always that serious and you need not worry much unless you have concrete reason to.
2. Your friends are not perfect. Most of the time we as humans tend to see ourselves reflected in the people that we associate with. This could possibly be because we have the same interests, similar backgrounds, mutual acquaintances, etc. Safe to say there’s a little of us in our friends. There is a reason as to why your friends are your friends. Sometimes though, we tend to expect too much from the friends that we have. Mainly because we expect them to be as perfect as we want them to be. Problem is they aren’t. Just like you aren’t. They will mess up and piss on you, offend you to your face, say something not so friendly to you, or about you, use your insecurities against you. That doesn’t mean they aren’t your friends, or they’re not as close to you thought. Simply means they’re human and on the same playing field as you are. Means you should take them off that pedestal you put them on. This though doesn’t give them the right to walk allover you and you the permission to let them.
3. Everyone has got SERIOUS issues that you could never begin to fathom.
In my not so many years on this earth i’ve acquired a little wisdom that led me to the unfortunate realisation that every person that walks this earth has a bunch of little monsters that come out every night to haunt them. Even the perfect somebody that you’d love to be.. Only difference is how we treat these issues. Everyone has a different approach to the nightmares that contribute to their lives. a).We have the whiners who go on complaining, crying about their problems day in, day out to everyone that cares to listen, or is cornered into listening. They tend to self pity and elicit sympathy from anyone and everyone because they feel the suffering that has befallen then is despicable and unknown to the world.
b)Then we move onto the attention seekers who use their problems to focus everyone’s attention onto them in form of sympathy and use this to foster their hidden agendas.
c).Then we have the smileys. My personal favourites. The people that will smile through a hurricane. Here’s a famous saying that goes “smiling on the outside while mourning on the inside”. These people will have the weight of the world on their shoulders but can still afford a smile. Also known as strong people. You would never know of their troubles, or if they had any unless they volunteered that information.
d).Then finally the seasoned people. These have been sundried by the world as we know it and have the scars to prove it. People who have had their share of harsh realities that they cease to have ways of covering it up. They may not intend to show how sad they’ve been or how thorny their past was but you can see it through their eyes, the bugs under their eyes, their perspective on things, the way they operate. They have been seasoned by the coldness of the life they’ve known and have nothing but hope and bitterness to hold onto.
4. Pain never gets easier. Physical pain, that is. It feels like a whole new experience everytime regardless of how many times you’ve gone through it.
5. You’re parents will forever be your parents. You don’t choose them. And from the looks of things you’d still choose them if you had the luxury of making that choice. We love to hate them but we all know we love them more than love itself.
7. Insomnia is real. That thing where you fail to sleep all night however sleepy or exhausted you are? It is real. It can be cool and a blessing when you have series to catch up on, an exam to get ready for or a deadline to beat but it can also be a real pain when the only thing you’d rather do is sleep. When The whole neighbourhood is asleep and you’re awake listening to your then scary thoughts..